Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Pressed (for time) Flowers

 


One of the reasons this mini flower is among my favorite go-to cutters is that I can make some pretty flowers, pretty quickly.  If I have a lot of cookies to do things on my plate and need something sweet and quick, these flowers are it.  And it's not like they are something I just "threw" together - remember, there's still the making of the dough, the icing, the cutting, baking, etc. that goes in to the whole process.  So, if you are the recipient of these flowers, although my schedule may have been crazy, and I was pressed for time, know that lots of love went into them,  and I wanted you to have something pretty from me : )

*****
 
So, you've made the dough and icing, & cut and baked your cookies.  You will need 2 colors in Royal Glaze consistency (somewhere between flood and piping, where it will settle on its own, without any help) - I really like white and yellow for these.  This flower cutter has 6 petals on it which makes things easy.  You are going to flood every other petal, and let those set for 5-10 minutes, more for glazers. (I know, at this point they look really weird, but not for long...)  I did a few dozen here, so by the time I was done with the last, the first was set enough for the next step.  Now, flood the last 3 petals on each cookie.  Since the first petals aren't really dry yet, make sure you don't dig the tip into them when moving your icing around.  (yes, I know they still look weird...stay with me...)  Let them set for 5-10 again, or if you did a lot, the first one should be ready.  Take your second color and holding the tip straight over the center about 1/8" above the cookie, squeeze straight down until the center is big enough to "separate" the petals.  The tip will eventually be "in" the icing as you are squeezing - that's fine, don't move the tip and it will build a nice big puffy circle.  That's it - you're done!  Let 'em dry, then pack 'em up for someone special! 
 
 
 

 *You may notice on the dried cookies that the centers of the petals are slightly recessed - I actually do that on purpose because real petals are actually like that. The way I flood to get this is to outline the petals with a little more pressure than I flood the centers - if I leave the icing to settle on its own, they just dry that way.*
 
 
*****
 
Some of these are going to a a very special friend of mine who recently lost Cupid, her best buddy in the whole wide world of almost 15 years, and I wanted to cheer her up.  And because she made me the sweet platter I have the cookies on at the beginning of the post...

 
I hope she doesn't see this post before she gets the cookies, but if she does... Hey, Jodi - watch for these, they should be there by Monday.  And don't worry, you don't have to eat Cupid - I won't mind : )  Love you girl!
 
RIP Cupid.

11 comments:

  1. Oh how I love flower cookies! Your little daisies are beautiful! Great job on Cupid too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet of you to do that for Jodi!!! :)

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dotty & Michele : ). If you know Jodi (I have for about 30 years) she is one of the sweetest and most giving people you will ever meet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just made my day! For some reason unknown to me, I cut and baked 9 dozen of these last night... but I don't really have time to decorate them, with all the other cookies on my plate right now. This seems like the perfect solution! THANK YOU!!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah I hope they worked out for you! What color combo did you use?

      Delete
  5. Hi Michelle...Do you outline each petal before filling it in, I don't see an outline and it looks great that way! Thanks again for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dora : ). I outline & flood immediately after. I do it this way so there is no visible outline. I do most of my cookies this way : )

      Delete
    2. I love the look! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. These are great!!! How do you make the leaves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean the petals? Basically, pipe every other one, let dry a bit and then pipe the remaining ones. There is a tutorial in the post that gives a better description : )

      Delete